Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with an attitude of thanksgiving. Col. 4:2

Monday, March 24, 2014

It's What We Think that Matters


The following is the way the Holy Spirit worked in my heart when preparing for the most recent TLC Bible study.  I hope it blesses you the way the study blessed me.  Joy Wade

Philippians 4:8&9 NASB95 Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

The Apostle Paul is writing to the church at Philippi.  In these selected scriptures, Paul appears to be finishing up a thought, “Finally”.  What follows is a list of adjectives which are the boundaries for what one’s mind should be focused upon. In other words, if a thought or line of thinking cannot be described by one or more of these adjectives, then a believer is NOT to dwell on that.  In contrast Paul says purposefully choose to focus on thoughts that fall into these categories, letting your thinking dwell, or “live” in that place.

Obviously this is not a new concept to the Philippians.  Paul says he taught these principles to them, they understood them and they saw him practice this type of focus while in their presence. He further commands them to practice this kind of thinking. The result is that God’s peace is with the believer who chooses to dwell on this kind of thinking.  

God knows what kind of thinking will keep the believer at peace with Him and in their hearts.  He led the apostle Paul to give us a list to follow.

The parameters Paul is giving are to help me guard my thoughts so that they are in line with the thinking of Christ.  Thoughts that are true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, of good repute, contain excellence or worthy of praise are to be those parameters.  This is a practice I must choose to come back to when I find my thinking in dark, critical, judgmental, malicious, deceitful, depressing, untrue, fearful, lustful, evil or just plain lousy places.  If I am struggling to be obedient to this, I am to throw myself on the mercy of the throne of grace (Heb.4:16) and ask God to help me to have the strength to think on things He approves of.  Christ understands my weaknesses.  It’s not how many times I fail that God focuses on; it’s how many times I look to Him to pull me out of the pit I’ve fallen (or jumped) into.   

Once I’ve found victory over my thinking and am focused on Christ’s type of thinking, I need to let my mind stay there.  I dwell in a house; when the weather got so cold, the wind was blowing and the snow was falling, I chose to stay inside my house and not leave it.  Likewise, I need to keep my thinking inside the safe, warm “house” of the mind of Christ. This means keeping the door of my thinking closed to the outside influences If the thinking of the world, my sin nature or Satan tries to squeeze through the cracks, I must discipline my mind to turn my attention to thoughts that meet this criteria. There are times when I must honestly admit this is extremely difficult to do.  It is in those times that I just cry out to the Lord to change my heart and my thinking.

Paul told the Philippians to think about the example he set for them in practicing this kind of thinking when he was with them.  So therefore I must choose to be around people and learn from people who practice this in their life. Praise the Lord that He gave me just such a man as my husband, but also, I need friends who are willing to gently correct my thinking if they judge it to be distorting of God’s position. I must be willing to hear a gentle correction. (If I won’t listen to the gentle correction then I may find myself facing a harsh correction.)  I find when I seek to learn from and be around the person who practices godliness, I can be convicted where I am going astray and encouraged to follow their example of Christ centered thinking.  This takes me to Paul’s next commandment of “practicing”.

Something that must be practiced is something that is a learned habit, not a natural one.  Thus it doesn’t come naturally to the believer to think in this manner. If this is a new concept, then I’ve got to practice it. I mustn’t fool myself or allow myself to be lulled into a false sense of having “attained” it.  Satan, the world and my own sin nature never take a vacation.  They are always finding new ways to try to lead me astray in my thinking and actions. I need to often go back to the “text” book in order examine if my thinking lines up.  I need to ask the Holy Spirit to convict me of thinking that isn’t led by Him.  I need to find time to quietly listen to His leadings and convictions.  I must be willing to obey when I find Him trying to lead my thinking to the acceptable place as described by Paul.

Lack of peace, unrest, fear, grumpiness, critical “harsh” thinking, dissatisfaction with others, depression, lingering self-pity, indecisiveness on moral issues, feeling pushed, confused, discouraged, worried, obsessed or condemned are all “red flags” that my thinking is not lined up with God’s thinking.  I am in the throes of living without God’s perspective, which is tantamount to being without the peace of God.  However, the practice of this kind of thinking is going to produce in me the Peace of God and that is the peace that passes all understanding. 

These are questions for applying what I’ve learned and keeping myself accountable.

1.      Is this True?
            Honorable?
            Right?
            Pure?
            Lovely?
            Of good repute? (promoting the good reputation of my Savior)
            Excellent
            Worthy of Praise?

2.      Whose voice does it reflect?

God’s Voice   vs.  Satan’s Voice

Stills you              Rushes you

Leads                    Pushes

Reassures           Frightens

Enlightens           Confuses

Encourages         Discourages

Comforts             Worries

Calms                    Obsesses

Convicts               Condemns

3.       Am I at peace, content, courageous, assured, calm?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment