Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with an attitude of thanksgiving. Col. 4:2

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Does God want me to be a Pollyanna?


We're familiar with the verse, For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope. (Jeremiah 29:11 NASB)  But as we explored, discussed and dissected this verse, many principles were shared, words defined and questions asked.  Indeed, the discussion was lively.  Because of the truth that God's plans are good, and He has given us a wonderful future and secure hope, the question was presented, "Do I speak of the future pessimistically or optimistically?  This lead to, "How do I respond to the doom and gloom naysayer?" Or on the other hand, "What about the accusation that someone is just a Pollyanna, viewing life unrealistically?"  Here are the thoughts that Joyce jotted down afterwards that she gave permission to share here.

I often drive home from TLC pondering the things that were shared. Last night I was thinking about what was said about being "Pollyannaish" (thanks, Jan for the thought provoking question). I began wondering if I really understood what that meant, so I Googled it (when I got home, not while I was driving!). I felt compelled to write down the thoughts that came to me. Here they are if anyone is interested in my ramblings:

Pollyannaish
From Wikipedia.com
1) someone who seems always to be able to find something to be "glad" about no matter what circumstances arise
2) someone whose optimism is excessive to the point of naïveté or refusing to accept the facts of an unfortunate situation


From UrbanDictionary.com
3) Belittling and often insulting term for being absurdly optimistic and good-hearted, believing in a good world where everything works out for the best all the time. Often in combination with being God-fearing and perceiving oneself standing on a higher moral ground than others

If we are considering definition #1, then I agree that we should, like Pam said, "be Pollyannaish about God" (thanks for sharing that Pam). We can always find something to be thankful for and should strive to focus on God's goodness no matter what circumstances arise. I agree with that wholeheartedly. I said last night that "No one would ever accuse me of being a Pollyanna," but that's not really true. One example is when one of my sister's was diagnosed with cancer I was saddened by the news, but not devastated because I was thankful that she is a Christian and I knew that God would use her and the situation for His glory (and He did). One family member did not share my view and accused me of being unconcerned and uncaring. There wasn't much I could say to change her perspective, and I didn't allow her to change mine. I did try to let her know that I really did share her love and concern for my sister.
It was something more like definition #2 and #3 that sparked my initial response as that has been more my experience. I have been both the offender of and the one offended by the attitude that is described in Proverbs 25:20, Like one who takes away a garment in cold weather, And like vinegar on soda, Is one who sings songs to a heavy heart

For many years I perceived myself standing on a higher moral ground than others, judging others as not being God-fearing because they were struggling with a circumstance in their life that saddened them or concerned them. Instead of coming alongside and "sorrowing with those who sorrow" I poured vinegar on their wounds with my patronizing words disguised as encouragement. God used my struggle with infertility to reveal this in myself, and He's still working on me.

Let me just add, so there's no misunderstanding, I'm not saying that we should condone any sinful attitudes or behaviors in others or ourselves. One missionary told me once that there is no excuse for bad behavior, but there's almost always an explanation. I'm grateful for the women who have come along side me, listened, got to know me and helped me understand why I struggled with certain areas so that I could replace the wrong thinking that was triggering them with truth. I thank the Lord for how He has progressed me; it's only by His grace. Still a long way to go though...
So, if someone was to "accuse me of being a Pollyanna" I would have to examine whether it is because they do not share my eternal perspective of hope in God, or is it because they are sensing that I do not care enough about them to allow them to share their perspective.

I appreciate all of you and how God made each one of us different. I am thankful for how God is using each of you in my life.
Joyce

6 comments:

  1. This is wonderful and full of wise humility. I am encouraged by it. Thank you.
    I especially loved these remarks, “So, if someone was to "accuse me of being a Pollyanna" I would have to examine whether it is because they do not share my eternal perspective of hope in God, or is it because they are sensing that I do not care enough about them to allow them to share their perspective.”
    I am quite certain there have been times that I have been too “solution centered” when listening to the struggle of another. (Just slap this Bible verse on it and it’ll be just fine!) There is such comfort and value found in suffering with a fellow believer who is suffering. I’m not talking about encouraging self-pity, but rather having empathy and compassion for their suffering and even sharing how God has brought them through similar suffering. Many of the people at CBC demonstrated that to me over the past eight months. I don’t understand how it works but that was as much a part of my healing as were the prayers people offered on my behalf. I now make it my goal to be that way to others. Perhaps it’s that empathy that motivates earnest prayer for another. Or perhaps it’s the Holy Spirit’s power at work when we share our burdens.




    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyce, thank you for taking the time to put ink on paper (so to speak) and share these thoughts with us. Joy's addition about "slapping a Bible verse on it" adds more to chew on. One take away we have here is that we can appear like the insulting definition of Pollyanna when we glibly let Scripture roll off our tongue to try to help a hurting sister in Christ without taking the time to really listen and come alongside her.
    But when we take time to listen, to sorrow with and alongside our sister, and then express our faith in our loving God by sharing a verse, then perhaps we rise to the more godly definition of a Pollyanna that Pam was good to remind us of. Thank you, Pam, because I had never considered that Pollyanna was anything but an insult.
    Thank you, Jan, for the scarlet cord that indeed is wrapped and tied on my electronic device. Although, I confess, when I saw it this morning, I was tempted to slap Jeremiah 29:11 on my struggle of the week and repeat it in my sing-song Pollyanna voice. And I was tempted to stop at the end of verse 11 and forget the THEN that begins verse 12, because the THEN is a time when Israel (and we) turn back to God in true repentance and isn't that when our hope really begins and God's plans for us and our future begin to unfold?



    ReplyDelete
  3. LInda's reference to the scarlet cord refers to a definition of the Hebrew word for hope used in Jeremiah 29:11. That same Hebrew word is used in the story of Rahab. She hung a scarlet cord (hope) from her window which bacame her hope (expectation) of God's plan and provision for her salvation. (See Joshua 2:18) Each of the ladies received a scarlet "cord" to remind them of Christ, our hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to sit and soak in all this wonderful God-given insight from my sisters for a few hours! Thank you all for sharing! This is what encouraging each other in Christ is all about. :)


    ReplyDelete
  5. To further our conversation about being Pollyannaish, Gary's illustration yesterday about the identical twins perspective on their presents got me to thinking. (Thank you to Joyce for "connecting the dots" of how applicable this was!) The glass being half full or half empty is never the right question; the real question is: "What is the glass sitting on?" -only the solid rock of Jesus Christ will do. So I was wondering if when we are ministering to our sisters in Christ (and probably non-believers, as well), would it not always be appropriate to remind one another about the only true foundation? It is easy for any of us to temporarily lose sight of our One Hope when there is a pile of manure on top! Could we say, "I am so sorry that this is happening to you and I don't understand why God is allowing this to happen. The only thing I do know is that God loves you so much. Please let me know how I can pray for you and if there is anything else I can do for you." I would appreciate your thoughts. I am pretty much a social moron; although, Christ in me is not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gary's illustration about the twins came an a perfect time, didn't it! I thought of our Pollyanna discussion too, as he was telling the story.

    Nissa's thoughts on sharing the foundation of our optimism are spot on. When we share that Jesus is the foundation of our hope, we say that our Pollyanna attitude is not naive, but firmly based.

    Thinking of our Passover sedar and the song we sang, Dayenu, "it would have been enough," maybe in addition to considering what the glass is sitting on, we should ask, is it enough?

    ReplyDelete