Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with an attitude of thanksgiving. Col. 4:2

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Am I Asking the Right Question?


Recently a group of ladies from our church met to study the Bible. One lady who had not attended for a long time made the comment that it is so easy to be a hermit sometimes, (rather than get out).  That comment has rolled around in my mind for several days not just because of the truth of it, but wondering why it true. At times, the answer is: because it is easier or more comfortable to stay at home than making the effort to get out. 
Then a memory came to mind of a time quite a number of years ago when I was considering whether to become involved in a group.  I told the person I was talking to that I didn’t know that we would really benefit enough from the group to warrant getting involved.  Her answer caught me off guard, “did you ever think that someone may need what you have to offer?”  My thoughts had centered on what I could gain instead of what I could give.

Are there sometimes legitimate reasons to stay home?  Certainly!  Can we be involved in everything that is available?  No!  The challenge here is that you ask God where and when He wants you to be involved to encourage or bless someone by your participation.  As one writer stated, “it’s not about me”.
To come back to the beginning, that evening when we shared prayer requests, one lady was weighed down with a burden.   God used our prayers that night to work in the situation to bring an answer, and the one who had been tempted to be a hermit was the one lead to pray for her.  The burdened woman was blessed, we all were encouraged, and God received the glory. 

 
This is also a reminder of why we chose the name, TLC, and that we can make a difference for eternity.
 
 
 
 

 
 

2 comments:

  1. It is easier for me to grasp being encouraged by someone than to comprehend that I can encourage others, but it certainly works both ways. How many times I have looked for someone at church and been so heartened to see their face. Shared words--even if they don't amaze with their wisdom--or a touch can mean the world, surely for both people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a good word, Jan, an encouraging word for all of us.

    ReplyDelete