Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with an attitude of thanksgiving. Col. 4:2

Monday, May 5, 2014

Benefits of Believing Romans 8:28


We say we believe Romans 8:28, one of the most familiar promises in the Bible.  But a question then comes to mind:  if I truly believe this promise, would I allow my mind to stay in worry and/or fear?  How would it help us believe this promise more fully by pondering the benefits that come when we do? 
This is a list complied as we met to mine the nuggets of truth found in Romans 8:28.  It is by no means an exhaustive list and it would be great to add more so feel free to add your insights. 

What will happen if I believe that God is working all things together for the good of those who love Him?
      1.       It will free me from the temptation to blame/condemn someone or something else.

2.       It gives me an opportunity to praise God as I look back to see what He did.

3.       It provides an opportunity to share with others what He has done; whether a witness to the unbeliever or an encouragement to the believer.

4.       It reveals God’s power and sovereignty.

5.       It provides a training opportunity for our children.

6.       It prevents or overcomes bitterness.

7.       It strengthens my faith as I trust Him.  “Look at your life situation.  Then look at your powerful and redemptive God and the promise of Romans 8:28.  When you do, you have another decision to make – a decision of faith – to put your trust in God and believe that the end will be good regardless of how life looks or feels in the present.”  Elizabeth George in Loving God with All your Mind. 

8.       We have peace and hope.

9.       We can move forward in boldness and confidence.

10.   God uses it to develop godly character as He conforms us to the image of His Son.

11.   Guides us into acceptance of the situation.

The testimony of the prolific hymn writer, Fanny Crosby, demonstrates her belief in this promise.  This is what she said regarding the doctor who caused her blindness.  “Although it may have been a blunder on the physicians’ part, it was no mistake on God’s.  I verily believe it was His intention that I should live my days in physical darkness, so as to be better prepared to sing His praises and incite others to do so.”
We can see many of these benefits demonstrated in the life of Fanny in reading her testimony.  It challenges me to walk by faith (in this promise) and not by sight, (what the situations looks like). 

No comments:

Post a Comment